Friday, September 8, 2017

Ancient German warbands



Spring is here, so unfortunately less painting and more enjoying cold beer and great food in the sunshine. 

Below are two units of ancient German fanatics. Figures are predominately Black Tree Miniatures with a few Foundry ones thrown in. I've used the majority of my naked and semi-naked figures for these units to give them more of a wild look.

The banners are actually orc banners from puppetswar.eu. I thought they looked the part being nice and furry like the bits of the clothing the warriors are wearing. 

I've also given most of the figures wicker shields to make them semi-uniform and stand apart from the other German warbands. I have one other warband finished, so only 9 to go!!! So much for the winter project......mmmmm............maybe a spring project instead.

17 comments:

  1. Very nice, I like them a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I should really paint these quicker as there is not much clothing on them.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I Iike 'em a lot! What game are they based/intended for?

    Heres to Spring beers while those in the Northern Hemisphere get chilly
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul. I'm currently gaming with Simon Miller's "To the Strongest" rules. The gaming mats I use have 20cm grids so the units have an 18cm frontage. (Three 6cm x 6cm bases to a unit. These troops fight as a 'deep unit' under the rules.
      This also gives me an option of using only 2 bases for a unit giving 12cm frontage for use with Impetus or to be used on a gaming mat with 15cm grids.
      And yes, I hate the cold so bring on summer!! cheers.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful job, they look fierce...and splendid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil. Will have to see how fierce they are in battle.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yep, they have to be loonies, running around the battlefield covered in just a wee bit of animal fur.

      Delete
  5. Like them a lot! The banners are cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I think there were about 5 or 6 banners in the pack, so will be using the others in the future.

      Delete
  6. They are beautiful, we'll need a final bigger picture of them all done though. Looking forward to it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gordon - Don't hold your breath waiting for the finished army - a long way off yet - due to my painting time and a myriad of interruptions, ie side projects, beer drinking, gaming, BBQ's and did I mention beer drinking.

      Delete
  7. I'm neck deep in my own german hordes. Jobs bigger than me to be fair, so need inspiration on what is more like a siege than fun now! Yours are very nice. Keep them going.

    ReplyDelete